Saturday, April 23, 2011

Poverty

As I was sitting in church today a woman came up to me and said she was looking for a job. I told her to come by the school that I work for to see if they have anything. She kept asking questions and so I told her to sit next to me and I continued to talk to her as church was happening. Let me also comment on her appearance. She was a darker Asian with not new clothes, carrying a plastic bag and a purse. After we finished the brief conversation she continued to sit next to me as we prayed.

However, I was not praying. I was thinking - thank God that won't happen to me. But it can. It can so easily happen to me. It could happen to me tomorrow. or even today. I could lose all that I own. But someone would take care of me, right? nooo. what if my parents died and there was not enough to live off of? I could to an extent but I would be searching for a job just as desperately as this woman. I felt a small relief in thinking oh I still have my brother he could help me. no. what if he was already gone? dead. I would have nothing. and my friends wouldn't be able to help because you can't ask that of people. you cannot be so dependent.

you are alone and you are the only person who can take care of you. you cannot expect anyone to be there for you. you must be prepared to be the only one that is there for you.

I could not help this woman because I do not have the authority to. I would not be able to hire her, I would not be able to give her advice or hand her enough money. And at some point that will be me. I will be the beggar. I will be searching for a job and unable to find one. I will be starving. I will be dirty. and there will be no one there for me because they have to be there for themselves and they are trying to survive just like me.

2 comments:

  1. I used to think like that until a good friend told me this would only happen if you burned every bridge you ever made. There are a lot of people with enough kindness in their hearts that would never let you wander the streets. As your friend, I would not let you go without a place to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome post. That is all.

    ReplyDelete